Spagetti Bolognese is one of my favourite meals! It does not have to be unhealthy.
I would not have it everyday but it is certainly a much healthier version than how I used to make it.
What you will need (for 2-3 people) >>>
- Minced Beef – about 400-450g.
- Coconut Oil – 1 large tablespoon.
- 1 large pepper.
- 6/7 mushrooms.
- 1 large onion.
- Tomato Puree – use how much you like.
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes OR 6 tomatoes.
- Tomato Passata – around 200g.
- Chilli Flakes – a sprinkle.
- Tabasco Sauce – a few drops, depending on how spicy you like it.
- Whole Wheat Pasta (3 cups)
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to a pan on medium heat.
- Fry the mince meat.
- Chop up all the vegetables and add to the pan with the mince meat, stirring occasionally.
- Fill a small pot with water (3/4 full) and allow to boil.
- Add in 3 cups of wholewheat pasta when water is boiling.
- Cover the pan (with meat and veg) and let to cook, checking every few minutes in case you need to add more oil.
- When everything is cooked, turn down the heat and drain the fat.
- Add in the tin of chopped tomatoes and tomato puree and return pan to the hob.
- Let simmer for 10 minutes.
- When the mixture has thickened slightly add in the passata. Stirring occasionally.
- Leave on low heat for a further 5/10 minutes.
- Add in the spices. Add in how much you like depending on your likeness for spice.
- Check on pasta, I find wholewheat pasta can take a little longer than white pasta.
- Taste the bolognese mixture and add more spice if you like.
- Drain pasta when finished and serve 🙂
All ingredients are very healthy! I understand there are sugars in passata, a tin of chopped tomatoes etc… But I feel it is better to use that than a jar of bolognese sauce where there is much more ingredients that are unnecessary.
Everyone has gone mad for coconut oil lately and theres a reason. Look at all the benefits it has >>>
Coconut Oil can increase energy, lead to weight loss, can possible kill bad bacteria, possibly reduce hunger, can improve blood cholesterol levels, possibly boost brain function and can possibly reduce abdominal fat.
You can purchase coconut oil in all leading supermarkets now, even Aldi.
Wholewheat pasta is a much healthier alternative to white pasta as it has the most nutritional benefits including vitamin E, vitamin B, antioxidants, protein, healthy fats and fibre.
You can of course add more or less of ingredients, this is just a guideline.
I hope this was helpful and thank you for reading 🙂