Chilli Con Carne is one of my all time favourite dinners so when I went on a health kick I just tweaked how I made it.
Ingredients (For 2 people)
- Beef Mince (around 300g)
- 1 Onion
- 1 Pepper
- 5 large mushrooms
- Chilli Spice Packet from Aldi
- Tin of Chopped Tomatoes
- Crushed Chilli Spice
- Medium Sweet Potato
- Uncle Bens express rice Mexican Style
- Coconut Oil
- Olive Oil
- Tin of kidney beans
- Fry the mince in 1 large tablespoon of coconut oil on a medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees.
- Peel the sweet potato and chop up into long chip like shape.
- Place sweet potato fries onto a tray with tin foil, drizzle a small bit of olive oil over and sprinkle crushed chilli spice over (add however much you like depending on your spice preference).
- Place tray of sweet potato fries into oven for 20-30 minutes (depending on how good your oven is).
- Chop up the onion, pepper and mushroom and add to mince.
- Wait until mince, peppers, onions and mushrooms are cooked through. Add 2 tablespoons of water if necessary and add in the Aldi Chilli Spice packet. Mix it up and lower heat to the lowest.
- Make sure you check sweet potato regularly. If you need to move the tray, move it to the middle shelf.
- Add tin of chopped tomatoes (include juice) and kidney beans (drain the juice and do not use it) to the chilli mixture.
- Stir it up and let it cook on a low heat.
- Cook the rice in the microwave following the instructions on packet.
- To ensure sweet potato fries are cooked you should be able to stick a fork through them.
- If you would like to add more crushed chilli to the chilli mix please do. I like mine spicy 🙂
- Serve up! 🙂 🙂 🙂
You can use whatever vegetables you have in the fridge. Some days I use broccoli and courgettes. It’s whatever I have really. You can also use any rice. In the picture I used wholegrain rice as I didn’t have Mexican Rice. And you can also add some salad if you like.
I personally love this dinner and I love the sweet potato fries with it. The sweetness pairs with the spiciness perfectly!
Sweet potato is an amazing alternative to white potato and I actually prefer it. Sweet Potato is an excellent source of vitamin A, C & B6. Also a good source of dietary fibre, potassium and vitamin B1 & B2. Also very low in sugar.
Make sure whatever rice you are using is low in sugar.
Kidney Beans are an excellent source of folate, fibre and protein. The reason I remove juice is because the juice contains a lot of sugar where as the beans contain virtually no sugar. You can also use fresh kidney beans but I just find the tinned ones are handy.
And everything else is stuff you generally will have in your cupboard 🙂 All also super healthy 🙂
Just to note the tin of chopped tomatoes can seem quite high in sugar but in my opinion using chopped tomatoes is much better than buying a jar of chilli sauce. You don’t really know whats gone into a jar of chilli sauce whereas you know exactly what you are putting into your own homemade Chilli Con Carne 🙂
Thank you for taking the time to read and hope this was helpful.
If you have any Chilli recipes I would love if you shared them 🙂
Ciara ❤ ❤ ❤